This was a bucket list trip. I have been to London but have always wanted to take my Dad back and explore it with him. This year, I finally was able to for his birthday in June.
Here is the itinerary for 5 of the 7 days we were in this magnificent country.
We dropped our bags off at our hotel in Kensington called Royal Garden Hotel and headed out to explore. We walked everywhere....even though my Dad had a sprained ankle....he was a trooper.
1. Hyde Park (right next to the hotel and explored the gardens/park)
2. Mayfair (my Dad had a beer and I had fish and chips at Ye Grapes which I was shocked was a pub with thai food which I found out was the norm at pubs in London)
3. Buckingham Palace
4. Notting Hill (had a drink at Churchill Arms)...also had thai food on the menu and a cute restaurant/garden out back
We had the London Pass so many things were free....just watch your time
1. Borough Market (had breakfast sandwich at the only place open)
2. Covent Garden
3. Tower of London
4. Tower Bridge (really cool to stand on the glass that looks down on the cars)
5. Shard (went to the top)
6. Belfast Ship
7. St. Paul's Cathedral
9. Had dinner at Duck and Waffle (make sure you have a reservation)
Took the train to Greenwich
1. Walked to breakfast at Heap's Sausages (best sausages I've ever had)
2, Prime Meridian
3. Queen's House
4. Royal Observatory
5. National Maritime Museum
6. Cider from Old Brewery
1. British Museum
2. Camden Town
3. Box Park
4. Brick Lane
5. King's Cross Station to see Harry Potter....of course
Then took the train out to Weybridge to visit family friends.
Came back into London to visit the Monet exhibit at the National Gallery. I was so impressed with the cafe in the museum....they even had a rhubarb crumb cake and lots of gluten free options. Had to have some tea as well.
We then had drinks at the Rooftop at Trafalgar Square St. James.
We took the train back to Weybridge again which went by MI6 that blew up in James Bond Spectre....naturally, we had to watch Spectre over our steak dinner with a 1998 and 2008 bottle of Lebanese wine.